Browse Items (42 total)
"Cumberland Jack, taken at Alpine, Tennessee 1934 by Paul J. Adams"
Cumberland Jack lived at Adams's farm in Alpine from 1928 until his death in 1935 at age 14 years, 5 months.
"7/14/75 Picture of Paul J. Adams Old Lodge top of Mt. Le Conte made by Mrs. Arnold C. Moore, Atlanta, Ga."
Adams hiked Mt. Le Conte in July 1975 to mark the 50th anniversary of the camp he had established there. This was likely Adams's last hike up Le Conte; he died in 1985.
"Cumberland Jack II, Winter of 1932 on Chillhowee Mt."
Handwriting beneath photo reads: "Smoky Jack - Packing." Adams trained Cumberland Jack to carry supplies from Ogle's Store in Gatlinburg back to the camp on Mt. Le Conte.
Tags: Great Smoky Mountains
"Cumberland Jack in front of his Kennel atop Mt. LeConte, winter of 1925, taken by Paul J. Adams"
"padams34" written in pencil on back of photo.
Tags: Great Smoky Mountains
"Cumberland Jack II and Paul J. Adams, winter of 1925, Knoxville"
"padams39 (1) p.5" written on back of photo.
"Area of western Gatlinburg 1925 from west side of West Fork of Little Pegion River"
"padams40" written in pencil on back of photo.
"Signs beside LeConte Creek Trail erected by Paul J. Adams, summer of 1925"
Upper sign reads: "Permission of Custodian Must Be Secured Before Building a Fire on This Mountain Great Smoky Mountain Conservation Asso." Lower sign reads: "Save the Wild Flowers Plants & Trees for the Other Fellow to Enjoy Knoxville Automobile…
"Frank Wilson, Cumberland Jack & Paul J. Adams, below Bulletin Board, camp on Mt. LeConte 1925"
"padams36" written in pencil on back of photo.
"Thompson Photography employees at Basin Spring Camp, Mt. LeConte, picture taken in 1926 (summer)"
"padams28" written in pencil on back of photo.
"CampYard, 1926; Adams Cabin on Left, 'House That Jack Built' on Right, Tables and people in middle"
"padams22" written in pencil on back of photo.
"'House That Jack Built' Basin Sp. Camp, during construction, looking down hill, Picture taken in early summer of 1926."
Caption on back of photo reads: "Fireplace opening can be seen. Picture made by Paul J. Adams".
"Ogle's Store and Post Office 1923. River road to right. Looking from Pi-Phi School"
"padams24" written in pencil on back of photo.
"Paul J. Adams, Cumberland Jack, Frank Wilson in front of tent top of Mt. LeConte 1925"
"padams25" written in pencil on back of photo.
"View of Myrtle Point Mt. LeConte picture taken in 1925"
Cumberland Jack visible on far right.
"Mt. LeConte, Clifftop to right, West Peak to Left. Taken 1925"
"padams27" written in pencil on back of photo.
"Group picture, Basin Spring Camp winter 1926-'27. Courtesy of Jim Thompson"
(L-R): Brockway Crouch, Gordon Powers, Jim Thompson, Paul J. Adams (Guide) with Cumberland Jack. Caption on back of photo reads: "winter of 1926-'27 Camp on top of Mt. LeConte. Picture taken by Thompson Photographer My Pack Basket on one of…
"Basin Spring Camp 1926, Adams Cabin on left, Huff Cabin on Right."
Adams operated his camp until May 10, 1926 when Jack Huff and Will Ramsay took over management. Huff began construction on a new cabin - "The House that Jack Built" (visible on the right).
"First Log Cabin built on Mt. Le Conte, winter of 1925-26"
"padams11 (2)" written on back of photo.
"First Log Cabin on Top of Mt. LeConte, winter of 1925-'26 Built by Paul J. Adams"
"padams10" written in pencil on back of photo.
"Camp Yard showing tent and tables summer 19 1925"
"padams14" written in pencil on back of photo.
"Ogle's Store, Gatlinburg. Charles Ogle on right; about 1923"
"padams16" written in pencil on back of photo.
"The Cumberland Jack grave stone made by Jim Robertson in front of studio, June 7, 1974"
"padams5" written in pencil on back of photo.
"First Log Cabin on top of Mt. LeConete. Winter of 1925-26"
"padams9" written in pencil on back of photo.
"First Cabin on Mt. LeConte, under construction, winter of 1925-26"
Adams began construction on this 15 by 20 foot cabin in the summer of 1926, having been retained to do so by the Great Smoky Mountains Conservation Association.
"Tar-paper shack of Mt. LeConte where first two Park Commissioners Parties stayed, built in 1924"
Adams occupied this camp on Mount Le Conte, which consisted of a tar-paper covered lean-to north of Cliff Top, in 1925.
Letter, Wilson Enochs in Huntingdon, Tenn., to Susie Gentry in Franklin, Tenn. 1911 October 26
Created for the University of Tennessee Digital Library